Long Term Plan for Water Supplies Pt I
Title: Long Term Plan for Water Supplies Pt I
Broadcast: 17th October 2015
Presenter: Christina Morrissy
Our water usage is the lowest it has been in 70 years; Chrissy shows us where our water comes from and what is being done to maintain our water supply for the long run.
- By 2035 we will need to find 40% more water to supply our growing population, with our rainfall declined by over 15% since the 70’s, it is up to us to reduce and recycle, while the water corporation is working to secure our future water supply.
- Only 17% of our water has come from the clouds.
- 41% of our water came from the two desalination plants that were commissioned a few years ago, the Southern Seawater Desalination plant and the Perth Seawater Desalination plant. In the long run, this water is only used once and is very costly to make.
- 42% of our water comes from beneath our feet, Groundwater has been topping up our water supplies for years in the future it will remain important, but it isn’t an endless supply.
- Watercorp is tapping into an innovative concept using Groundwater Replenishment; wastewater that is further treated into drinking water standards and recharged into groundwater supplies. The water is stored and taken out some time later for further treatment and supply to a drinking water system. It is desalinated water, although costly to make, can be used more than just once.
Water Corporation: Contact - 13 10 39