Title: Harvesting Carrots
Broadcast: August 20th
Presenter: Melissa King
If you love your carrots, check out the different varieties now available, such as the Yellow Lobbericher, Purple Dragon, Western Red’s, and Belgium White. Carrots are a great source of Fibre and Vitamin A, as well as being good for eye health. Melissa takes a look at how to best care for your carrots and shows you how in 10-14 weeks you could be harvesting carrots from your garden too.
- When planting use a sunny spot with well-drained soil, and don’t add too much animal manure as it can cause forking
- If you put seeds in a jar with a little bit of sand it will help separate the seeds before planting
- Spring is a great time to be planting ready for a Summer Harvest
- Purple Dragon can lose their colour when cooked and can be better used in a salad to display the 3 different colours’ being the purple on the outside, with an orange flesh and yellow core contained within the carrot.
- Red Carrots are packed with Anti-Oxidants and full of flavor
- White Carrots are sweeter and less earthy tasting than some other varieties.