Growing Waterwise Plants Cost Free
Title: Growing Waterwise Plants Cost Free
Broadcast: Sunday Nov 27th 2016
Presenter: Emma Britten-Jones
If you want to fill your garden with waterwise wonders Emma can show you how. She talks succulents, cuttings, and how you can grow them successfully at home.
- Succulents are on trend, come in all different colours, shapes, sizes and are about as waterwise as you can get. They’re also easy to propagate yourself at home.
- Your first step is to find your cuttings. This is best done in summertime and if you find them close to home you will know they grow well in your local area.
- Another option is to get a mature plant from your local nursery or market and take cuttings from that.
- When taking cuttings take a nice healthy piece from the plant and use a sharp clean blade.
- Next leave your cutting in a well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight for 1-3 days until a callus forms to prevent fungal infection.
- Succulents will grow in all kinds of containers; the essential thing to remember is to make sufficient drainage holes.
- Make a hole deep enough and plant leaving a good couple of inches above the surface. Place in a well-lit, warm position out of direct sunlight and water only when you see the soil drying out.
- Now all that’s left to do is plant out your plants to enjoy a stunning display all year round.
The Garden Gurus