Preventing Water Loss this Summer
Title: Preventing Water Loss this Summer
Broadcast: Sunday Dec 11th 5:30pm
Presenter: Calinda Anderson
So you’ve chosen to have an aquaponics system, pond or water feature? Well, there are a few key things to consider and Calinda shows us some that will make the most out of what could be a wonderful addition to your living space.
- Positioning is important, so try and place your water feature where you can get the most out of the sights and sounds of the water. For ponds, try and position it where you get all the morning sun going into shade for the hotter part of the day.
- Ponds that get at least 4-6 hours of direct sunlight will mean you can grow lots of flowering water plants and delicious edibles. Full sun would be the second choice and full shade the third. With that, you might not have a choice and all can be made to work well.
- If you live in a windy position then a large splashing water feature may not be appropriate as water loss will be high. If you do choose to do this, make sure you plant around the feature with plants that will take advantage of the spray.
- For waterfalls and streams, get advice on the flow rate and pump size you need as pumping water too fast can result in water loss. Spillways can only handle so much water at one time and too much or too little spray can affect this.
- For aquaponics systems you’re going to want to put them in full sun positions for the best for your vegetables. You should position it where you can see it easily so you can pick and harvest whenever you want, keep an eye on your fish and you can see if anything goes wrong and fix it quickly.
Woodvale Fish & Lily Farm
P: (08) 9409 9248