Amanda Young Foundation Garden
Title: Amanda Young Foundation Garden
Broadcast: Sunday Jan 15 2017
Presenter: Faye Arcaro
Today Faye visits a very special Garden, which was established to raise the awareness and education of Meningococcal Septicemia. She discusses the benefits of gardening as a healing process and how the founders keep the garden thriving.
- After losing their only daughter Amanda to Meningococcal Septicemia Barry and Lorain Young have found solace in building a beautiful garden in memory of Amanda, and to raise awareness of the disease.
- Once a barren paddock, Barry and Lorain have converted the space into a thriving microclimate where sun-sensitive plants are grown in shade.
- The tree canopy reduces evaporation and has a cooling effect of up to 10 degrees cooler in the shade.
- The garden is alive with wildlife and Barry states no chemical pesticides are used.
- Hot winds are cooled over the garden ponds, which further reduces the need for irrigation making this garden water-wise.
- When Amanda passed away, Barry and Lorain were approached to start a foundation aiming to raise awareness of the disease. Since then, Barry and Lorain have aided with research and also supported survivors of Meningococcal Septicemia.
The Amanda Young Foundation
P: (08) 9227 4237
The Garden Gurus