Title: Gourmet Garnishes
Broadcast: Sunday Jan 15 2017
Presenter: Sophie Budd
Join Sophie Budd as she creates recipes from plants in Swan Valley Nurseries Gourmet Garnishes collection. Today’s recipe is a delicious rice pudding with fresh fruit garnished with edible flowers for a light, summer time dessert.
- Each label has uses and a recipe on the back.
- There are more varieties in the range available seasonally.
- Firstly, ensure you use a thick base pot and put it on low heat. Add some cream and milk, immediately follow this by adding your risotto rice. Sophie has used Arborio rice. Stir regularly, ensuring it doesn’t stick to the bottom with a gentle bubble.
- For the syrup – add equal quantities of sugar and water to a pan. No need to stir simply let it bubble away for 5-10 minutes until a thick syrup, then remove from heat.
- Once the rice has simmered for 15-20 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of honey for sweetness, splash of vanilla extract.
- Mortar and pestle a pinch of saffron and Calendula petals. Once a fine paste, add to the rice. Sophie has also added a splash of her favorite spirit – Frangelico. Continue to stir.
- Once the syrup has cooled, add a cup of chopped pistachio nuts, a splash of edible essential oil, in this case – wild Orange and Cardamom. Finish by stirring in some more Calendula petals.
- You’re now ready to begin plating, and the perfect compliment to this rice pudding is fresh fruit. In this case, Sophie has used strawberries, cherries, mango and blueberries all topped off with a garnish of Swan Valley Nursery heartsease and marigold petals.
- To compliment this lovely light snack, Sophie has prepared a tea flavored with Bergamot Lemon, Anise Hyssop, fresh mint leaves and a big dollop of honey. Once brewed, chill in the fridge and top off with ice cubes with Heartsease and Blueberries.
Swan Valley Nursery
P: (08) 9571 2611
2430 Great Northern Hwy, Bullsbrook WA