Broadcast: Sunday Jan 29th 2017
Presenter: Steve Wood
With over 40% of household water consumption being used outdoors, it’s vital that we grasp the potential water savings attributed to mulching. Steve visits the garden at Tim Davies Landscaping to discuss the benefits of mulching and some of the beautiful water saving gardens that have been installed in Perth.
- Did you know using a good quality mulch can significantly reduce evaporation loss? By applying 5-10 centimetres of waterwise mulch in your garden, you can achieve water savings of up to 20%, which is a serious benefit to the hip pocket!
- Mulch works like sunscreen for the soil. Applying it will not only help to retain the moisture in the soil, it will help prevent growth of weeds and stress on plant roots in your garden.
- Add hard, chunky mulch to protect your garden and avoid soft non-waterwise mulch. It is composed of fine materials that can pack down to make an absorbent, impenetrable layer that prevents water movement through to the soil.
- When choosing mulch, look for the Waterwise and Smart Approved WaterMark symbols.
- There are great offers to be had at Bunnings stores throughout the state on a selected range of waterwise products such as mulch, soil improvers and soil wetting agents.
- Stocks are limited, so get in quick. Download your voucher today. Simply search the Waterwise Garden Rewards program on the Water Corporation website.
AS SEEN ON