Broadcast: May 27 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
When it comes to food production at home many of us have gotten into growing herbs, veggies and sometimes fruit and some are even maybe adding a chicken or two to the backyard, but have you ever thought about growing your own seafood?
- Food production at home has a positive effect on your health. Fresh food is better for you and it’s going to save you money if you grow it at home.
- Fresh produce is expensive but have you ever tried growing your own seafood at home? More and more of us are getting into aquaponics and we’ve got systems at home.
- To demonstrate just how cool aquaponic system are we visit Woodvale Fish & Lily Farm and speak to expert Calinda Anderson’s to pick up some stock for the winter months.
- Aquaponics has just taken off in the last 7 years and to be successful you have a really good understanding of what the fish requires, which is water, oxygen, food and trying to grow them in the season that’s appropriate to them.
- Aquaponics is a wonderful way to take control of your seafood supply. For a start it’s inexpensive to set up and run and the return on fish alone is amazing.
- Some people have to go up north to catch their barramundi but if you get your own barramundi you can just grow them yourself, at home!
Woodvale Fish & Lily Farm