Fixing Garden Problems
Title: Fixing Garden Problems
Broadcast: August 19, 2017
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Today, Nigel is at Baldivis Secondary College, where they are running an excellent and hands-on gardening program, as part of the science curriculum.
- The program allows students who are interested in the environmental aspect of things to get involved with gardening and getting back to nature.
- Nigel speaks with Anthony Pittman, Team Leader for Science, who explains the school’s problem with white fly, especially in their aquaponics systems. The challenge they face is staying organic.
- Some natural pest repellents that you can try at home include garlic, chilli, and olive oil, with olive oil being great against caterpillar problems. These natural solutions are a great way to avoid using harsh chemicals, and don’t affect your edible produce.
- Anthony explains how the students are involved with the gardening and aquaponics that they have at the school. Students were responsible for digging the hole for the 3000L tank; setting up the grow beds; and planting.
- If you’re interested in getting into aquaponics gardening, there are kits available from specialist suppliers to suit most homes and gardens.
The Garden Gurus