Why Saving Water is so Important
Title: Why Saving Water is so Important
Broadcast: Mar 18rd 2018
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
After what’s been a mild summer you might be wondering why we’d be pushing the waterwise gardening message. The truth is our city is growing and our climate is changing, with less rain fall and changing environmental conditions we need to be clever with the way we use water at home.
- Perth remains one of the highest users of water per head of population in Australia. We are headed to having the same population as Sydney within 20 years, so we need to be smarter with how we use water.
- Being conservative with our application rates is one thing but reusing water where we can is another. Grey water recycling is something that can be done easily. Collecting rainwater and using it to flush toilets is another.
- Gardens remain a major user of household water and whilst gardens are reducing, technology is emerging every day that helps us reduce the amount of water wasted.
- Rain sensors for controller, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth controllers allow for better control, and low volume and direct deliver irrigation systems deliver just the right amount of water without waste.
- Becoming more climate resilient with long term changes to how we care for our gardens is the key to reducing the amount of water we use and helping us deal as a community with strong population growth and declining rainfall patterns.
The Garden Gurus