Segment: Beautiful Brassicas
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep01
Presenter: Dr. Shyamala Vishnumohan
TX Date: 7th September 2019
Dr Shyamala tells us about the health benefits of including more Cruciferous vegetables into our diet.
- The brassica family is in season now and are super nutritious, rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, K, folate and minerals.
- The brassica family of vegetables includes broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, kohlrabi, turnip, radish, collard greens and kale.
- A recent Australian study found that eating more vegetables – especially cruciferous vegetables such as these, might help prevent clogged arteries, or atherosclerosis, a main cause of heart attack and stroke. They also contain powerful cancer fighting antioxidants called indoles and isothyanates.
- It is important to use every part of the vegetables; the stem is the most nutritious and delicious part. Eating the whole vegetable will help us to maximize the nutrition we get out of the vegetable and reduce food waste, and save money.
- Look out for Swan Valley Nursery vegetable seedlings at your local garden centre, Australia wide.