Segment: Soil Health
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep05
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
TX Date: 5th October 2019
Growing your own organic fruits and veggies are a great way to stay healthy, but it’s important to make sure your growing them in the right soil conditions.
- The key to growing healthy fruits and veggies lies in the soil – edibles in particular need a lot of nutrition. They require plenty of organic matter and need to be reasonably well drained, as over time your soil can become exhausted and depleted of nutrients.
- While you can dig in or spread compost, it’s much easier to use a liquid compost that will go to work on your garden instantly.
- There are 2 ways to get liquid compost onto your garden – a hose on bottle, or you can mix it into a watering can.
- Aside from Seasol, which promotes overall plant health and protects against environmental stresses, this liquid compost also contains essential nutrients, as well as fish carcasses, bones and skin.
- Liquid compost breaks up the clay in your soil and reduces nutrient loss in sandy soil, which is extremely important. It will help to revitalise all soils, improve the soil structure and soil moisture retention, and increases worm and microbial activity.