Colour Your Life with Annuals
Segment: Colour Your Life with Annuals
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep05
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 5th October 2019
If you’re looking for a way to add a splash of colour to your garden, annual flowers may just be the way to go.
- While annuals only last one year, they are well worth a place in your garden.
- Annuals are quick to grow, germinating from a seed into a seedling, before growing to full size, flowering, producing seeds and dying – though don’t let their short life cycle put you off, as a lot will re-emerge the next year.
- The Begonia is a versatile plant for your garden, and has an incredible foliage. They can be used to add colour to your garden, and will always come back each year.
- Other plants that return each year are Impatiens, Cosmos and Marigolds.
- Annuals give you a lot of flexibility, giving you the option to change out your pots, garden-beds and hanging baskets whenever you want, unlike with perennials, which are a long-term commitment.
- While perennials stop blooming over summer, annuals will continue to bloom and give your garden that extra boost.
- Annuals are great value for money, and will instantly fill your garden with colour. While it can take perennials years to produce their first set of flowers, this is not the case with annuals.