Segment: Kid’s Gardening
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep08
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 26th October 2019
It’s important to give kids the opportunity to get out into the garden and grow their own food – harvesting fruits and veggies can be incredibly exciting.
- Zucchini Tromboncino has fruit that grows to a very long length, and can twist and turn in a lot of fun ways.
- While other zucchini plants can be grown along the ground, this is a vine, and does better with support – more gravity pull means longer fruit. The wire tomato cage works great for this zucchini.
- Tomato Rapunzel will create long trusses – almost 2 feet long – and the fruit is really sweet.
- Tomato plants grow to be quite tall, so garden stakes will help to support the plant, and the ribbing on the side will help the plant grip onto the stake. You can use 1 stake or 3.
- Strawberry plants should be planted about a foot away from each other – most varieties send out runners and form new plants. Full sun is a must to get the sweetness in the fruit.
- The Whites Looped Border Edging fences can fit any straight or curved garden, and will be a great finishing touch for your garden.