Segment: Ekodeck #2
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep10
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
TX Date: 16th November 2019
Not only are they a more sustainable form of decking, Ekodecks are easy to set up as a DIY project.
- The Ekodeck does not require the same level of maintenance as old-fashioned decks.
- The Ekodeck Plus Designer Series comes in 6 modern colours, including Riverbank Red.
- The system requires a strong foundation framework. To set this up, the sand was dug out, as the deck requires 100mm clearance. The bearers are set in concrete fittings onto steel stirrups, and the joists are run at 45 cm intervals.
- Ekodeck uses an installation design system called Quickfix. It allows for even spacing between the boards without using spacers, and is a clean system with no predrilling, hole marking or countersinking.
- The boards are laid on top of the joists – it will take half the time to set up compared to regular timber decking.
- The 5.4 metre planks look fantastic with their long, clean lines, and are not scarred by screws or nails. The non-fade finish guarantees your deck will look great all year round without needing constant maintenance.
- This is a very easy system, so long as you have the right gear. If you’re a half decent DIY person, you’ll be able to install it with no issues whatsoever.
- If you have any issues, the Bunnings website has an installation video to help you out.