Herb Highlight - Basil
Segment: Herb Highlight - Basil
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep11
Presenter: Dr. Shy Vishnumohan
TX Date: 23rd November 2019
Basil is a delicious herb, rich in minerals and easy to grow.
- Basil can be found in classic dishes such as pesto and caprese salad. Its prominent spicy notes mean it also pairs well with mild cheeses.
- Weight for weight, basil has almost twice as much vitamin C as oranges and is high in fibre and antioxidants.
- Basil is prone to oxidisation and will start browning when it is cut or chopped. To avoid this, blanch it in boiling water for a few seconds until is turns a bright green, then drop it into an icy bath to stop it cooking.
- Basil loves sun, so when planting choose a bright, well drained spot that will be in sunlight for 8 hours of the day. Keep the soil moist, not soggy.
- In hotter months, basil tries to flower and go to seed, but the flavour of the leaves is at its best before flowering. Harvest frequently as required, picking off the flower buds to keep the leaves tasty.
- These basil plants were grown by Swan Valley Nursery, but for those outside of WA, basil can be picked up at all leading nurseries.