Segment: Potting Succulents
Episode: Autumn 2020, Ep 2
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 29 February 2020
Bonnie shows you some great tips on potting succulents!
- When potting succulents, it’s always a good idea to have a good pair of gloves to minimise any harm to yourself or the plants! Some succulents might look tough but they can be fragile to handle, so safety first!
- When choosing cacti, look for ones that have nice even growth, are well rooted in their pots and have nice even colour! This way you know you’re starting with healthy plants!
- One of Bonnie’s favourite varieties of cacti is the Old Man’s Cactus which is great for small containers as it doesn’t mind being in them for a long time!
- Plus, in the spring they flower a beautiful white to pink flower!
- Before planting the cacti, arrange them in the pot so you get a feel of what looks nice, where!
- Once you’re happy, plant away! Always use a premium cactus potting mix which is more free draining for these types of plants.
- When fertilising your cacti, steer clear of a liquid fertiliser and instead grab a slower release fertiliser. Cacti dislike sudden bursts of nitrogen which causes rapid growth, so gradual is ideal!
- Check on your cacti once per week for water in the summer months and once every two-to-three weeks in the winter!