Schonbrunn Palace Garden

Segment: Schonbrunn Palace Garden
Episode: Autumn 2020, Ep 5
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 21st March 2020

One of Vienna’s most popular tourist attractions, the Schonbrunn Palace Garden is a must visit when cruising through Europe.

  • Schonbrunn Palace is one of Europe’s best preserved gardens, and is an optional shore excursion when visiting Vienna on a Viking Grand European Cruise.
  • The palace has been in the possession of the Habsburgs dynasty, who once ruled much of Europe, since 1569. It’s a magnificent palace that served as the monarchy’s fabulous summer residence, and symbolized their power and ambition.
  • The park and gardens around the palace cover around 500 acres, and are laid out in the 18th century Baroque style. The gardens and palace were placed on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites in 1996, and have been open for the public to enjoy since 1779.
  • Originally called Katterburg, the park was first used as a hunting ground. They were initially designed to keep native game and birds, as well as exotic birds such as peacocks and turkeys.
  • Today, the gardens are kept in immaculate condition, with tree lined avenues, lawns, woods and landscaped flowerbeds. Keep an eye out for all of the hidden delights within!
  • The Great Parterre, with its symmetrical garden beds, occupies the largest open space in the gardens. The beds consist of formal patterns made with box hedging on coloured gravel, and are known as broderie patterns.
  • Neptune’s Fountain is another highlight, a huge sculpture based on Greek mythology. This beautiful sculpture was designed as the crowning element of the Great Parterre garden, and has millions of pictures taken each year.
  • The east façade of the palace is the Privy Garden of Schonbrunn. It is beautiful, with flower beds, box hedges and vine-covered walkways. The garden was named for the Crown Prince Rudolph in 1870.
  • This garden is full of beautiful geometric patterns that can be viewed well in autumn, when the flowers are dying back.
  • The first maze here was created in 1720, and originally had 4 quadrants with a central pavilion. It was gradually abandoned, with a new maze opening in 1999.

www.vikingcruises.com.au

Previous

Next

AS SEEN ON