Autumn Soil Care
Segment: Autumn Soil Care
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
TX Date: 25th April 2020
Autumn is a great time of year for planting, but you’ll want to make sure you’ve properly boosted your soil before getting to work.
- All great gardens start with great quality soil. If your soil quality isn’t the best, or if you grow a lot, you’ll want to boost your soil’s health – it doesn’t matter what type of plants you are growing.
- Fertilisers have changed dramatically over the years from mineral based short-term growth stimulators. Now, the focus is on feeding the soil and stimulating soil.
- Healthy soils need a combination of minerals to support healthy plant growth and development: seaweed to stimulate young root growth and development, humic acids to increase water absorption and the water-holding capacity of the soil.
- This will improve your soil, increase plant root growth and metabolism, and help plants deal with environmental stresses.
- Seasol Plant + Soil Booster has all of these elements in one bag, along with compost and organic matter to enrich the soil and further feed the microbes that reside within it.
- When laying out a new garden bed, simply mix into the soil before planting anything. If you’re adding the odd new plant, grab a bag and add a handful into the base of the planting hole.
- If you have existing beds and you want a boost as autumn arrives, then scatter and scratch into the soil with a cultivator.
- Once you’ve applied the Soil + Plant Booster, make sure to water it in – this activates the ingredients.
- 2-3 weeks after applying, you can add some Seasol over the soil to maintain the momentum, stimulating more growth. This is particularly important for edibles and flower gardens, as they use a lot of energy and need an extra boost.
- You can alternate each week between Seasol and Powerfeed – this will deliver spectacular results.