Happy Hens Community Garden
Story: Happy Hens Community Garden
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Air Date: 22nd August 2020
Henley Green Community Garden is a fantastic little garden, just outside the Sydney CBD, where you can come meet new people and make some friends.
- Henley Green Community Garden was started in August 2018 by three friends who wanted to stay in touch after their kids left primary school.
- The garden has 35 paid members, but a lot of people come along to help out.
- Primary school students visit the garden daily, help with the chickens, and bring their grandparents with them.
- Emma Paxton, one of the founding members of Henley Green Community Garden, says one of her favourite things about the garden is the social aspect.
- Henley Green is built on top of what was originally a bowling green and is a great example no-dig garden.
- No-dig gardens are fantastic if you’re in heavy clay soils where the drainage is terrible.
- Back in March when Sydney was in lockdown, Henley Green Community donated their produce to a local women’s refuge and people who were struggling in the broader community.