Strawberries & Raspberries
Story: Strawberries & Raspberries
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
Air Date: 15 May 2021
Strawberries and raspberries are some of the easiest and most delicious fruit to grow, and autumn is the ideal time to start planting them.
- Strawberries and raspberries will be in their dormant state at this time of year. This is often called bare rooted.
- The strawberries will come as runners and the raspberries as dormant canes.
- Both of these plants will thrive in a sunny position with humus-rich soil. Alternatively, if you’re planting them in pots, make sure you’re using a top-quality potting mix.
- Strawberries grow more as groundcovers, whereas raspberries grow taller and sometimes need support.
- When planting strawberries, make sure the central crown is above soil level before covering them up.
- Raspberries can be planted roughly 2-3in deep. They’ll fruit on their second-year canes, so don’t forget to prune back canes that have already borne fruit each winter.
- Garden Express has a special offer just for The Garden Gurus’ viewers. You can get a 5 pack of strawberry runners or a 4 pack of raspberry canes for 20% off.
For more information, head to:
Garden Express Online Shop