Story: Spring Pruning
Presenter: Sue McDougall
Air Date: 21 August 2021
With Spring just around the corner now is the perfect time to get into the garden and prepare it for the new season. Sue shares her secrets to successful spring pruning.
- Plants may be damaged by the cold during winter and have dead leaves or spots on their foliage.
- Damaged foliage is never going to recover, and the best way to control it is to prune and feed with a complete fertilizer.
- The Mr. Fothergills Darlac Pruning range has been voted best value pruner.
- What gardeners look for in a pair of pruners is versatility. It must feel light and balanced in the hand and exert little pressure when it is used repeatedly.
- Professional pruning tools will state its maximum-sized cut on the package.
- The Rachet Pruner takes time to get used to, but the cuts are made in stages which reduces effort by about a third.
- The Rachet Pruner has a curved blade that traps the branches, so they don’t tend to slip.
- For left-handed people, there is a pruner designed especially for their use.
For more information, head to: