Title: Bottling Fruit
Broadcast: 28th March
Steve shares some fantastic tips on how to preserve your fruits throughout the winter.
- You can preserve all kinds of fruit. They must be washed and prepared before being cut in half. Place the sliced pieces into sterilized jars then add a light syrup consisting of water and a small amount of sugar.
- Place a seal lid and clip upon the jar, and put the sealed jar into heated water.
- Instructions vary slightly for different fruits, but if you’re preserving peaches, bring the water temperature up to 200 degrees then bring it down to 180 degrees and hold at this temperature for around 30 minutes. The preserving system works by forming a vacuum and creating a perfect seal.
- After 30 minutes, take the jar of preserved fruit and store it in the fridge or pantry.
- The jars, lids and clips are all reusable, so it’s a great practice to introduce to the family to use over many years.