Fruit Fly Bait Recipe
Story Title: Fruit Fly Bait Recipe
Broadcast Date: 21st October 2012
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Its time to start putting your fruit fly bait up, otherwise all your tasty edibles will fly away with these pesky pests!
Trevor's fruit fly bait recipe
- Cut a 2 litre soft drink bottle a third down from the lip. Keep the top third of the bottle to place back on later.
- Pierce holes into either side of the bottle and thread string through and tie so it can be hung from a tree branch.
- Add a litre of water into the bottle and then add 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir.
- Now add the secret ingredient, vegemite. Stir through one large teaspoon of vegemite into the mixture.
- Finally, add in a little drop of fruit fly spray.
- Turn the leftover top third upside down and put it into the bottle, so you have a funnel effect into the liquid.
- Then all you need to do is hang it in the tree.
- You'll need three to four baits per tree. Although they may not look the prettiest, they are incredibly effective and a much better alternative to losing your harvest to fruit flies.