Date: 23rd May 2009
Story: Yarralumla Nursery
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Neville speaks the Farley Haywood, manager of sales for the business unit at Yarralumla Nursery, which has been dedicated to supplying plants and employment in the ACT for nearly a hundred years.
- The Yarralumla Nursery has played a pivotal role in the greening of our nation?s capital.
- A new role for the 21st century has been to commercialize and propagate some of the rare and endangered species from this region, to make them available for home gardens in both Australia and overseas.
- The nursery?s role in conservation of indigenous flora is highly important. They have their own seed vault on site, which is where a lot of the genetic material is stored.
- This is how a lot of rare species are able to be propagated and put into production.
- Yarralumla nursery provides employment and training for special needs organizations as well as training apprenticeships for schools.
- It is the largest nursery in the Southern table lands; this enables them to use the latest technology for ventures such as growing containers.
- Main customers of the wholesale business include landscapers, building industries and government departments. The retail division services the general public.
Yarralumla ACT 2600
Telephone: (02) 6207 2444
Fax: (02) 6207 2455