Living Mother's Day gifts
Story Title: Living Mother's Day gifts
Date: April 24th 2010.
Presenter: Brooke Stanway
Brooke gives us a few tips on how to create living Mother's Day gifts; including a succulent bowl and herb basket. Your Mum will love these gifts that keep on giving.
- A succulent bowl can be created very easily. Choose a bowl that your mum would love, then choose 3 or more succulents depending on the bowl size and grab a bag of free draining potting mix.
- If you are not sure how many succulents to plant in your bowl, then read the back of the label, it will tell you the width of the plant and enable you to plan the amount of succulents you can fit in the bowl without overcrowding each one.
- Fill the bowl with a succulent mix about 3cm from the top and plant your succulents.
- Then purchase a bag of coloured stones and decorate around the succulents.
- You can use this same idea to create herb bowls or potted colour.
- Remember when choosing your herbs to plant annuals such as Basil, Dill and Coriander together as they have similar watering requirements and need to be replaced once they go to seed.
- Larger perennial herbs such as Sage, Rosemary and Oregano should be placed in a large pot or in the garden.
- My tip of the week is to keep your mints in their own pot as they can be quite invasive in your garden and hard to get rid of.
- Just about all your local garden centers will carry a large range of herbs, potted colour and succulents.
A special thanks to Gardenworld and Tavistock Wholesale Nursery for supplying the products.
810 Springvale rd,
Braeside (Melbourne), Vic, 3195
Phone: (03) 9791 0111
Fax: (03) 9798 6777