What to Do in Your Garden This Week
Story Title: What to Do in Your Garden This Week
Broadcast Date: 9/3/2014
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Autumn is the best time of year to be in the garden and for gardening. Trevor shows us around his beautiful Kalamunda garden and shares a few tips for improvements after the scorching summer months.
Trevor Shares His Secrets
- Lawns almost always suffer over the summer months it's important to get them back in shape before the winter weeds set in. When using a wetting agent like; Grosorb remember to wash it into the top soil.
- For cooling the soil and improving its fertility as well as smothering autumn weeds, applying mulch is the smartest thing you can do for your roses around this time.
- Not all mulches are the same, some can been positively harmful, look for one that caries the Australian standards premium stamp.
- If you have noticed the roses you're picking have a shorter lifespan you may have western flower thrip infestation. If you do grab a bottle of Maxgard and spray over the foliage.
- Protecting fruit from fruit fly is really important. You could use fruit fly exclusion bags or fruit fly exclusion netting can be purchased from Commercial Netmakers in Bibra Lake or online.