Broadcast: October 1st
Presenter: Melissa King
Melissa takes us through the different types of Magnolias; their magnificent displays of flowers on bare branches are just stunning.
- There are both Evergreen and Deciduous types of Magnolia with the deciduous having an abundance of flowers on bare branches.
- Black Tulip appears in late winter and is compact with beautifully scented flowers.
- Vulcan have a fantastic scent and blossom in late winter/early spring.
- Magnolia Denudata has a sweet citrus fragrance and is also known as King of Magnolias.
- For a bigger yard Tina Durio has big white flowers in comparison to the Star Magnolia that is best for a smaller yard with white star shaped flowers.
- Michelia is an old evergreen favorite with great contrasting flowers and foliage.
- Magnolias like a fertile, well-drained and slightly acidic soil, in full sun or partial shade.