Title: Owy’s Garden
Broadcast: September 23rd 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor visits a friend whose gardening hobby evolved into an obsession, and then a profession.
- Owy’s interest in gardening started with architecture and cacti. Owy loved these plants, and grew them so successfully that the garden was overflowing with a huge collection of different species.
- Owy grew succulents at home everywhere, eventually growing them in starter pots and later selling them at the local Bunbury markets.
- Her son, David Taylor, worked away as a FIFO, but has come home, and helped his mother and father take it to a whole new level.
- Once, it was simply a rose garden, but now it’s overflowing with cacti, succulents, and other exotic and rare species
- For David, this passion started when he was suffering from severe migraines, and had to give up his job because he couldn’t drive due to the pain. So, he came home, and found a passion in gardening.
- The collection grew from David working for people, helping clear their yards. His payment was plants.
- Growing succulents can be done in many different ways, using leaves, cuttings, and even seeds – and they are the perfect plant for a low water use garden environment. They love long hot dry summers, and they come in a huge range of different foliage shapes and colours.
- Spring time is the perfect time to be propagating and planting beautiful cacti and succulents.
- If you want to learn more about growing succulents, or are in need of some inspiration, the best thing you can do is become a friend of Owy’s Garden on Facebook.
The Garden Gurus