Potting Plants Highlights 3
Segment: Potting Plants Highlights 3
Episode: Autumn 2020, Ep 3
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 7th March 2020
Looking for some inspiration for a nice shaded spot in your garden? Adding a display of beautiful ferns can create a lush, tropical, cooling environment.
- Ferns can be grown in combination pots or hanging baskets, making them a fun feature for your garden.
- When picking out combination ferns, look at their colour and textures to see what will work.
- The Bird’s Nest fern is a common variety that pairs well will the Kangaroo Foot Fern.
- The Blue Star fern has some beautiful blue foliage and makes a great contrast plant.
- When planting your ferns, you want to use a quality potting mix – Scotts Osmocote Premium Potting Mix holds a lot of moisture, which will keep the ferns happy over summer.
- Ferns do not like drying out for long periods of time, so it is important to have a good soil for them to grow in – this will be the first step in their success
- Planting the largest plant at the back of the container, your fern display will have more dimension to it. It also gives the little ferns more room to grow.
- During the summer, you’ll want to water your ferns daily – you can have a bit of a break during winter, when you can water 1-2 times a week.
- Liquid feeding once a month during the growing seasons will keep your plants happy and will help your ferns continue to grow.