Title: Cymbidium Orchids
Broadcast: October 8th
Presenter: Melissa King
It’s easy to see why orchids have their own fan club as Mel takes us into the exotic world of Cymbidium Orchids.
- Mel’s favourite is the cascading cymbidiums, with incredible spikes of cascading flowers that hang from baskets.
- The flowers can live anywhere from 4-12 weeks, which is a long time in the flower world. Even the cut flowers they can last for up to 3 weeks or so, so make sure you bring them indoors.
- The range of colours the flowers come in is just outstanding: dark chocolate, snow white, yellow, gold, red and green.
- So what’s the perfect condition for a cymbidium orchid? You need a warm, bright, airy spot. You need to make sure you protect them from hot sun, strong winds and frost. You can even place them underneath trees if the canopy isn’t too thick.
- They have an heir of exotic beauty and mystery but that doesn’t mean they’re hard to grow. To get the best of your cymbidiums give them a dose of your fertiliser in the springtime and give them a good kick along with a liquid feed during the warmer months.
- A happy, healthy plant will flower every year. A plant that’s 10 years old can produce as many as 10-20 flower spikes.