Title: Water Forever
Broadcast: Sunday January 15th 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Today Trevor looks at Water Corporation’s efforts to achieve ‘water forever.’ Trevor discusses this with Clare Lugar from Water Corporation on how we can reduce our water use, increase water recycling, and develop new water sources to help WA’s future.
• Over the past decade there have been significant changes to our water supply. As the State’s principal supplier of water services, Water Corporation is working hard to meet the dual challenges of our drying climate and population growth.
• Managing something so complex isn’t easy and the job is not done yet. There’s a lot to do when it comes to our water security so Trevor visits the Water Corporation to ask some questions.
• Trevor discusses the effort Water Corporation is making to reduce water consumption in WA. Water Corporation supplies around 370 billion litres of drinking water each year to 1.25 million properties through around 35,000 km of water mains.
• There are three sources of drinking water: desalination, dams and groundwater. Water Corporation will soon be recharging treated recycled water into Perth’s aquifers. This water would traditionally have gone out into the ocean, but will be treated to become beautiful clean drinking water.
• On his visit Trevor also gets some recommendations of what we can do at home that’s going to reduce overall water consumption.