Title: Stevia Plant
Broadcast: Sunday Jan 22 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor shows us a great South American herb; Stevia. It can totally replace sugar in your cooking!
- It is 30 times sweeter than sugar, easy to grow and the best part; it has no calories.
- Stevia just needs a sunny location, good soil, consistent moisture and some deep pots to grow.
- The plant will happily grow along side any other herbs in your garden. Using a large, low pot is Trevor’s favourite place to grow Stevia.
- Stevia will grow fantastically in summer but die down over winter- so make sure you establish it well!
- 1 plant will generate enough to replace a 1kg bag of sugar so use 10-12 plants (grown across 2 pots) to supply a typical household.
- Trim the stems, throw them into a bowl, leave it to dry in the sun and then crush the leaves into a powder to serve.
Swan Valley Nursery
P: (08) 9571 2611
2430 Great Northern Hwy, Bullsbrook WA