Title: Exotic Gardens
Broadcast: May 27 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Over the years we’ve taken you into some really amazing gardens and some gardens that have focused on a particular style. With the advent of Facebook, now like-minded people can come together to share their ideas and inspiration and today we visit one of the gardens.
- This garden makes you feel like you’re in the tropics. Owner and creator, Troy, has experienced a lot of trips to Bali which got him a little obsessed with tropical plants.
- The garden was about 80% lawn when Troy first bought the place!
- We can see mangos and olives around the outside of the garden but everywhere is bromeliads.
- About 18 months ago Troy became interested in bromeliads because he didn’t realise the nice variety of colours you can get. He saw a couple of nice colours on the Facebook group and he just had to have them. Troy now has about 300 bromeliads in his garden.
- Troy decided to develop the "Perth Tropical Gardeners" Facebook page, which is all about enthusiasts coming together. Troy tells us how the page came about and the inspiration behind the group.
- The old garden clubs that used to meet on the last Thursday of every month - they no longer exist anymore – Facebook pages are the modern garden clubs.
The Garden Gurus