Title: Vertical Gardens
Broadcast: October 27th 2018
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Vertical Gardens have never been more popular and Nigel has just finished putting one together on a wall in a courtyard for some living art. It’s an easy to install kit and his is how Nigel has done it.
- Once you’ve decided on the position of the green wall, install the brackets as per the instructions, there’s a handy template to use for setting out the drill holes.
- The green wall plate then slides onto the bracket and you’re in business.
- The fun part can really get going now, planting all of the pots. It’s an easy system with the pots being removable so you can work at a table or bench and then put them back.
- The potting mix he’s using has a coir peat base, excellent for water holding capacity and rot resistance. Remember, normal potting mixes break down quite quickly and will need replacing, or make your own with coir peat, vermiculite, scoria etc.
- You can really get the creative juices flowing with plant selection, just be sure the species are suited to the environment.
- Watering is essential for success and this set up has a clever, in-built drip irrigation system delivering water directly over the pots.
- These green walls are designed to be added to and connected together to create as large a wall as you like for maximum wow factor. The irrigation gets linked up too.