Herb Highlight - Mint
Title: Herb Highlight - Mint
Broadcast: March 16, 2019
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Mint is a worthwhile plant for the herb patch. It’s hardy, easy to grow and a great addition to a fresh salad or cool drink.
- As well as being a popular, flavoursome herb, mint is full of health benefits. It’s been used for thousands of years as a way to relieve pain and discomfort from gas and bloating.
- Mint as an herbal tea is great for soothing the nerves and relaxing our bodies, ideal if you’re set for a stressful day.
- There’s a huge variety of mint available, including peppermint, spearmint, apple mint and even chocolate mint. Each has its own flavour or scent, although some may be similar. Choose the type that is well suited to your region and for its intended use in your garden or kitchen. Some varieties are better suited to culinary purposes, and some more for their aromatic properties.
- Mint will thrive best in full sun or part shade and plenty of moisture. It can be grown in a pot or directly into the ground but be careful as it can take over in an almost weed-like fashion, so make sure you restrict its growing path.
- Once they’re established, mint requires very little care, a little mulch will help keep the soil moist and then just leave it to its own devices.
- For a bit of maintenance, right before your plant flowers, cut the stem about 10cm from the ground.
Find Swan Valley Nursery on Facebook