MIFGS Tour – Part 2
Title: MIFGS Tour – Part 2
Broadcast: April 13, 2019
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
Part two of Bonnie’s tour of the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show takes us down the Avenue of Achievable Gardens and a look into an interactive garden design.
- The Avenue of Achievable Gardens is a great learning experience for students as they go through the process of concept design and project co-ordination, to construction of a complete show garden.
- The aim for the entrants in this competition is to create something that could be replicated in the ‘every day’ backyard, with an $8000 budget and a 5x4m space to work with.
- Richard Bellemo’s “Green Connections” is a space designed to inspire children. He, along with students from Croxton Specialist School, worked together to create display that would encourage children to interact with nature and play.
- Richard Bellemo’s creation has elements that can be replicated in anyone’s garden and was designed as a sensory and educational zone for the young visitors of MIFGS.
- This feature garden includes a “friends circle” with logs seats arranged around a firepit, an elevated deck for group activities and a log fort with a dedicated play area. Some stationary bikes that manually operate a water pump are there to show children the cycle of water.