Controlling Snails and Slugs Naturally
Segment: Controlling Snails and Slugs Naturally
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep03
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
TX Date: 21st September 2019
Snails and slugs can be extremely damaging to your garden, but there are some excellent natural techniques to keep them away from your plants.
- You can use beer to trap your pests – simply put some beer into a container buried just above soil level, and the snails and slugs will crawl in and drown.
- You can supposedly spread eggshells and seashells around your plants to keep the snails and slugs away. The sharpness can be too uncomfortable for snails and slugs to slide on, and as an added bonus – when the shells breaking down will be good for your garden.
- Not only is caffeine toxic for snails and slugs, it releases nutrients for your plants as it breaks down. Your local café should be able to provide coffee grounds for you.
- Wool waste pellets will work just as well, with the wool absorbing the slime the pests leave behind.
- All of these options are fantastic ways to recycle waste.