Healthy Turf & Lawn
Segment: Healthy Turf & Lawn
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep07
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
TX Date: 19th October 2019
Frosts and cold conditions can have a negative impact on warm season grasses. If your lawn is struggling after the long winter months, you might want to try top dressing.
- There are a few things you can do to help replenish your grass, such as fertilising, adding a wetting agent and upping the watering, but adding a top dressing now will help your lawns performance over summer.
- Top dressing has a number of benefits – it stimulates strong growth, but also levels out your garden. Filling in patches to encourage runners to spread, or even planting grass seed into a top soil will make a huge difference.
- Scotts Lawn Builder is great for fixing problems, laying new turf or oversowing seeds. It carries the premium Australian standard red tick, and has been developed using the highest standard ingredients.
- The Lawn Builder contains soluble fertiliser for a quick growth boost, a wetting agent and the organic ingredients in the mix are premium quality, meaning no weeds, seeds or pests will be introduced to your lawn.
- The nutrients in the Lawn Builder are specially balanced to encourage the best lawn growth, whilst releasing slowly, which is vitally important so that you get a sustained growth.
- Take the premixed top dressing and spread it out, using the back of a sand rake or a leveller. Spread it to a thickness of just 10mm over the area you want to improve – it’s ok if it’s a bit thicker, the grass will spread through it.
- Make sure to water it in – you will activate the wetting agent, you’ll wash out any air bubbles in the soil and wast the sand into the top of the grass, and this will trigger a rapid push of growth.
- This is the best time of year to use a top dressing. It will disappear into the soil in just a couple of weeks, and you will get a rich, dark green flush of healthy growth within one week. Within three weeks, your patches should be covered.