Episode: Spring 2019, Ep11
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
TX Date: 23rd November 2019
It is important to act quickly when your soil becomes hydrophobic, with a wetting agent being your best option.
- You can tell if your soil is hydrophobic – it will start repelling water, and your plants will begin to suffer and die off unless it is treated quickly.
- Evergreen, the company behind Lawn Builder and Osmocote, have developed a product called Everydrop – a range of wetting agent and water storage crystals that help water penetrate the root system.
- You can spread the crystals evenly over the top soil and water them in, or you can pop the crystals into a bucket and submerge them in water.
- The crystals can absorb up to 100 times their weight in moisture – once they are nice and plump, they are ready to be put below the roots.
- You can use the wetting crystals on pots as well, as they have the same issues. A single soak now with the wetting agent will keep them from stressing and keep the soil moist longer.
- You can use the granulated form or the hose on – the activation of the wetting agent is vitally important. This means watering it into the soil until it bubbles and froths, ensuring the nutrients can act quickly.
- The crystals release moisture over a couple of weeks and reabsorb water each time you water.