Segment: Wollemi Pine
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep14
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 21st December 2019
Wollemia nobilis, also known as the Wollemi Pine, is one of the world’s oldest and rarest plants.
You can grow this in your garden today, so here’s where to find it and how to care for it.
- You can grow it as an indoors plant in a well-lit room or outside in the garden, either in a pot or in the ground.
- Don’t over water this pine as it doesn’t like having its roots sitting in water. Make sure the soil is well draining by checking the moisture level in between waterings.
- Wollemi pines are very tough and they can tolerate growing in full sun to part shade.
- With Christmas just around the corner, these plants make for brilliant gifts. You can pick one from Garden Express and there’s a Garden Guru special offer: $99 for a 150mm pot.
- The Wollemi Pine is one of the world's oldest and rarest plants. With less than 100 adult trees known to exist in the wild, this species is now the focus of extensive research to safeguard its survival. Assist in the conservation effort by growing your own Wollemi Pine and becoming part of one of the most dramatic comebacks in natural history.