Potting Plants Highlights 4
Segment: Potting Plants Highlights 4
Episode: Autumn 2020, Ep 4
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
TX Date: 14th March 2020
There are a number of funky indoor plants that would be great for your home.
- The alocasia stingray is known for its stunning foliage, and is truly one of a kind. They like to be given ample moisture with good drainage.
- Alocasia stingrays need a moderately fertile soil. If you’re planting them out in the garden, use a well-aged compost prior to planting. If you’ll be planting them up, a premium potting mix will be sufficient.
- It is best to position the plant in filtered light, as their foliage can burn if exposed to the hot sun for too long.
- Fertilise every 3-4 weeks during the growing season to keep them happy and reduce the amount of water given during the winter months.
- The ficus elastica is features some colourful foliage, and is extremely easy to look after. It requires minimal watering and feeding – you could almost forget about the plant and it would continue growing.
- Fill your pot about a third of the way, pop in the plant and fill any gaps with your remaining soil. Once planted, give it a deep soak to help settle the roots, and give the foliage a wipe down with a damp cloth every 6 months to remove any dust.
- The ficus lyrata’s foliage is a huge selling point – the plant is a big grower and will require re-potting every 12 months.
- This plant likes to be kept moist, so giving it a deep soak once a week will be sufficient. They also like to be grown in a well-lit room.