Garden Makeover 1
Story: Garden Makeover 1
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 24th October 2020
The Garden Gurus get to work, transforming a regional block just outside of Perth in support of the Children’s Leukaemia & Cancer Research Foundation.
- The Children’s Leukaemia & Cancer Research Foundation have been funding childhood cancer research for 40 years.
- In celebration of their 40th anniversary, the foundation started the year wanting to raise $40,000 in 40 days.
- When 2020 proved to be a difficult year for people and businesses, they changed their goal from money to kindness.
- The foundation got 40 businesses to donate a gift and asked the public to nominate deserving recipients who were doing it tough.
- The winner of The Garden Gurus’garden makeover, Karen Nobel, does a lot of work with autistic children. Many people recognised her efforts and what she does for the community.
- The Garden Gurus are creating a small formal area with four raised veggie gardens on the outside and an in-ground herb bed in the middle.
- The raised veggie gardens will be made using heat treated pine and set in place with Retain-iT posts.
- Good soil is crucial when growing crops, which is why The Garden Gurus are using soil from Soils Aint Soils.
- The area will be surfaced with 600mm by 600mm porcelain pavers from Rema Stone. This will ensure that anyone with mobility challenges can easily move around.