Succulent and Cacti Care
Story: Succulent and Cacti Care
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
Air Date: 3 April 2021
Succulents and Cacti may have spikey exteriors, but these plants produce some of the most elegant flowers. Bonnie shares her tips on how to best grow and care for these spectacular plants.
- Almost all varieties of Succulents and Cacti thrive in a full sun position in the garden. Keeping them in heavily shaded areas can result in limp growth.
- When selecting Succulents or Cacti, choose ones that have strong stems, are well rooted into their pots and have good colouring.
- Succulents and Cacti require watering in their peak growing season, spring and summer, but not every day. The finger test is a great way to tell if they need water.
- To establish your Succulent or Cacti use horticultural charcoal at the base of the pot and fill the remainder of the pot with a good quality potting mix.
- Scotts Osmocote Cacti and Succulent Premium Potting Mix is a free-draining mix with added coarse grit which aids in preventing root rot.
- Scotts Potting Mix is boosted with calcium which supports nutrient uptake and builds stronger plant cells.
- Scotts Potting Mix is also boosted with potassium which helps support steady growth and improve resistance to pests and diseases.
- Scotts Osmocote Controlled Release Fertiliser for Cacti and Succulents feeds for 6 months and releases nutrients depending on soil temperature, ensuring that plants are fed when they are actively growing.
For more information, head to