Growing Gourmet Mushrooms
Story: Growing Gourmet Mushrooms
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Air Date: 8 May 2021
Mushrooms have an endless amount of health benefits, and Neville knows of a way that you can grow gourmet varieties.
- Swan Valley Gourmet Fungi is run by Dave and Bridgett Proudmore. They supply exotic mushrooms to farmers’ markets around the city.
- Mushrooms can help to improve brain, gut and prostate health. They are also proven to have anti-aging properties.
- They contain many essential minerals, such as potassium and sulphur, and B vitamins, like riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid.
- Swan Valley Gourmet Fungi also offer Grow Your Own Mushroom Kits that allow you to grow many different exotic mushroom varieties at home.
- The spores are starved of light and air, so you need to bring them out into the light and cut a small square into the plastic to enable them to get going.
- Oyster mshrooms can be grown in unusual substrates, like coffee grounds, wheat and barley straw.
- Shitake mushrooms are normally very difficult to grow, but Dave’s found a way to grow them on Blue Gum sawdust.
- Each kit comes with detailed instructions and can be ordered through Swan Valley Gourmet Fungi’s Facebook page.