Lawn Care Tips Going into Spring
Story: Lawn Care Tips Going into Spring
Presenter: Nigel Ruck
Air Date: 21 August 2021
Winter can be brutal on lawns and with spring just around the corner, now is the time to give your lawn a little more TLC. Nige demonstrates the best ways to get your lawn back to its best after what has been a very wet winter.
- Lawns will begin to grow at a faster rate with the arrival of spring. Hence, now is the perfect time to start mowing to get control of your lawn growth.
- Before mowing, ensure all parts of the mower are sound and the blades are sharp.
- For petrol mowers, clean oil and fresh fuel are vital. For battery mowers, a fully charged battery will aid in performance.
- For all types of mowers, keep them clean by washing them down after use.
- Compaction is a common problem caused by general wear and tear of the lawn. The soil structure gets squashed, reducing drainage, with air water and nutrients not soaking through.
- Compaction is exacerbated over winter when there’s less sun and slow growth.
- To fix this issue, aerate small areas of the lawn with a garden fork, spiked sandals or hire a coring machine.
- Follow this by topdressing the lawn with river sand or coarse sand to fill the holes. This will allow for easy penetration of air, water, and nutrients.
- Add a spray of Seasol and Spring Feed to the lawn to help boost its overall health by putting vital nutrients back on your lawn and soil.
For more information, head to: