Water lily Wonders
Story Title: Water lily Wonders
Broadcast Date: 3rd March 2012
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Growing your own gorgeous water lilies at home isn’t as difficult as you might imagine. Trevor visits an expert to show you just how easy it is to grow beautiful water lilies in ponds and pots.
Tips and Facts
- There are 2 main groups of water lilies: a hardy group and a tropical group. Hardy water lilies flower from early spring right through to March/April and tropical water lilies flower from early summer to June/July.
- Growing lilies in shallow pots will mean it won’t take as long for leaves and flowers to shoot out through the water.
- When deciding on the positioning of your pot make sure it’s going to receive 4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight daily.
- Create a thick, fine gravel base in the bottom of your pot for the lily to root into.
- Regular fertilising with slow release pellets is highly recommended, as more nutrients equals more beautiful flowers.
- All pots should contain some fish if you want to control mosquito larvae infestations.
Woodvale Fish and Lily Farm
26 Woodvale Rd
Western Australia 6026
T: (08) 9309 6131