Maintaining Village Green Turf
Story Title: Maintaining Village Green Turf
Date: May 8th 2010
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Neville has investigated where to get Village Green from and how to establish it. This week, he shows how easy it is to maintain.
- To make sure your lawn looks great when it is laid and for it to last for a lifetime, you need to source quality turf from licensed Village Green suppliers.
- Unlike other warm season lawns, Village Green continues to grow during the winter months which mean it maintains its colour, recovers from wear and keeps weeds out.
- You don't need a cylinder mower to keep your village green in good shape; a rotary mower works a treat. The massive root system is able to mine the soil for nutrients so it needs very little in the way of fertiliser to keep it green and growing all year round. Recommended feeding is at the beginning of Spring, Summer and Autumn and use half the recommended application.
- Village Green is a very versatile grass- it will grow in full sun to partial shade, frost prone areas and all soil types. It is not suited to tropical climates.
- Like any lawn it needs to have a border and this concrete edge will keep it in bounds. Now if it does ever begin to stray into garden beds this grass is a real pushover for Zero or Roundup. One spray and those wandering days are all over.
- Village Green is the most winter active of the drought tolerant lawns and retains its deep green colour all year round and it has the best recovery rate after wear - ideal for families.
- Fertilise Village Green once in the autumn and if needed again in spring. Use half the recommended fertilizer rate.
- For more information visit www.villagegreenturf.com.au
Village Green Suppliers
Greenacres Turf Farm
Lot 503 Henderson Rd, Serpentine, WA, 6125
p: 1300 733 080
f: (08) 9525 2469
Bullsbrook Turf Supplies
ANCO Seed & Turf
Lilydale Instant Lawn