Story Title: Growing Spuds
TX Date: 23rd April 2011
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Growing fresh food at home is something that pretty much anyone can achieve and possibly the easiest of all veggies is the humble potato. Something always tastes better and is better for when eaten fresh.
Tips and Facts
- Potatoes are edible, starchy tubers full of vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates and protein to keep us strong and healthy.
- The average Australian eats about 68 kilograms of potatoes each year.
- Thomas Jefferson gets the credit for introducing French fries to America when he served them at a white house dinner in 1802.
- The Spanish discovered the potato during their invasion of the Inca Empire between 1531 an 1535.
- Potatoes contain around 80% water and 20% solids.
Send us in a photo of your spuds growing at firstname.lastname@example.org