Creating Living Walls at Home
Story Title: How to create your own Vertical Garden
Date: 20 March 2010.
Presenter: Phillip Johnson
Phillip Johnson shows you hot to create your own vertical wall at home to turn walls and fences into garden oasis’s.
Phillip Johnsons Sustainable Landscape Systems
- Creating a vertical garden doesn't need big sites, or investments, it can be a small space outside one small window or even an apartment balcony
- Use lightweight materials and prepare carefully, check on engineering requirements before attaching to walls/fences
- Careful preparation and selection of plants to suit the "microclimate" is the key
- It's important that the right plants are chosen to suit the particular space, not just the overall location.
- Add colour and movement to an area that otherwise wouldn't be usable as garden space
- Look to combine vertical garden with grey water recycling system or other sustainable water source
- Back board: Recycled HDPE plastic sheet
- Growing media: 4 layers - weedmat, felt, weed mat, felt
- Felt – made of recycled materials, we used custom made felt from JJ Davies & Sons Pty Ltd.
- Weed matting
- Drip line
- We recommend you consult your local community nursery for advice on plants that will grow well in the areas you living in as well as the area you’ve chosen to place the vertical wall.
- Staple gun
For help selecting the best watertank for your garden contact:
Phone: 1800 654 774